05 August 2006

Rotten roof - good for fitness!

Well, here I am again, still clueless concerning the wretched roof. What can I do, anyway? When the staircase broke last year, I could just live with it, fixing it for as long as it will last (prepared to put up a ladder once the stairs come down completely) while trying to save up the money for a new staircase in the meantime. The sum I will need for the staircase seemed to be such a huge amount already, when it was in fact just about one quarter of this new cost for the roof.
All this seems so abstract to me that I'm not really able to carefully consider the problem. Yet again, I find myself thinking, what is there to be considered? The money just isn't there, that's a fact that will not change overnight. And it will not be there next month or at the end of the year or whenever. It's a sum that is totally out of reach for me from what I know now.

At least the rain has stopped temporarily. Going up to the attic all the time, checking buckets, can be pretty unnerving. I keep thinking of how ironic it would be, if the staircase chose to break completely with me carrying all those buckets down now. I would have a real problem then ... so am I not just lucky things are still the way they are?

All I can do right now is accepting the very fact that there's nothing I can do except maybe, trying to make sure the damage isn't getting any worse. Sure things won't get any better if I panic. I'll have to go through all possible options and see what can be done. For now the buckets will just have to do ... while writing this I had the idea that I might go and buy some of those plastic sheets that are used to cover floors while painting or decorating. Maybe that prevents the wet from soaking through to the rooms below.

And see the positive aspect in this ... going up and down the stairs all day is a good way to keep fit, now that the weather outside isn't really encouraging a good walk..!

No comments: