11 August 2006

Midday musing

Let's face it, I'm pretty confused today. Even more than usual. It started with waking up at a time when I'm normally about to have lunch. I opened my eyes and found myself at a complete loss for orientation. It took several seconds (seemingly minutes) until I finally realized that no, I had not overslept and I was not meant to work today (insert sigh of relief here). It was Friday morning (well, quasi) and I've been attending a concert by Uruguay based band 'La Vela Puerca' yesterday night, which obviously ended in staying a bit late after the show, contemplating life, age and people with a friend and some strangers. And, well ... staring for hours at the most awesome face I have seen in years! Just to avoid confusion: not the awful kind of awesome but awesome as in fascinating, almost supernatural. A combination of a very young Sofia Loren and a classic russian ballerina. I simply couldn't stop looking at so much beauty and grace, radiating pure elegance, emphasized even more by the fact that all this seemed strangely out of place in this crowd of ska devotees. And no, I'm not gay. But I might admit to a slight homoamorous tendency, which is NOT about sexual attraction though. Sometimes I'm fascinated by somebody and whatever it is that attracts me to this person, it's certainly not dependent on them being either male or female. Maybe I'm some kind of 'asexual bisexual', if there is any such thing. If not, we'll have to invent it ...

However. It was about half three when I finally got home, realizing that my answering machine flashed like mad, indicating that it was about to burst with messages. Which is pretty unusual. Deciding to relieve the poor thing I started to scan the messages, finding they were more or less all from my sister. I hadn't checked the messages all week, I really forgot (as usual). Okay, so my sister's voice talked on and on, telling me at last (about half an hour later) that she had sent me an e-mail this very night and that she expected me to go read it IMMEDIATELY. Now, this more than surprised me. Between one thing and another my sister isn't really the kind of person you'd imagine in front of a computer screen. And from what I know she's not actually much of a writer. Unlike me she's a passionate telephone user (avoiding the word 'addict' here).
Well, she really got me curious and despite the time I couldn't help but turn on the Mac and check out this mysterious e-mail. What can I say ... what I found certainly made my day (or night in this case). My sister had actually written an account of our recent walking-tour in the Volcanic Eifel. Slowly recovering from the shocking fact that she had even managed to produce a Word document and attach it to the mail (when did she learn these advanced techniques?), I opened this miraculous thing ... and almost immediately went into side-splitting laughter. The way she pictured our walking experience made me almost roll on the floor and before I was finished with the first page I had tears of laughter streaming down my face, which was already starting to hurt with the unaccustomed use of all those normally idle muscles. I really laughed so hard that my whole body hurt afterwards. The next door neighbour must have thought I was finally going bonkers, coming home in the early hours of the day, cracking with laughter all alone in the apartment. I had no idea my sister was such a gifted writer. That story was so hilarious, so riproaringly funny, really like one of David Sedaris' essays. Maybe she should be the one blogging. Maybe I should encourage her to write more, it's such a waste of talent if she doesn't.

So. That's what kept me up last night, causing me to sleep till all hours, waking up disoriented and being in a bit of time pressure now. Because. What I'm really meant to do is prepare for leaving. In a doubled sense. I have to pack and prepare to go south, to check on my 'dear little ruin of a house', emptying water buckets and do likewise pleasant stuff and also I have to pack and prepare to go to Austria as soon as I'm back. And what do I do instead? Find myself blogging again. This really has to stop, it can't go on like this. Look, it's almost four o'clock and I still haven't done anything useful. I have to empty the washing machine, do the dish washing, get organized. I have to make a list of things to take with me for the weekend. Another list of things for Austria. Actually I'll also have to pack the things for Austria before I leave because there'll be no time to spare, being home on Monday and leaving again on Tuesday. I'm so very undisciplined. This weather is so paralysing, grey, cold and rainy. Blue Wren might just like it, unfortunately I don't. It makes my joints ache and my brain go slow. I can't think and I can't plan. Ah, it's pointless, I'll have to start. I will. Now. Promise ...

No comments: