27 January 2007

Bad habits ...

I really came here to finish a post I've been starting to write weeks ago. After writing a couple of sentences though, I heard there was a new text message on my cellphone and went to fetch it. Rising from my chair I suddenly felt all giddy, like my head was spinning. It took a while until everything turned back from black to normal and I sat there wondering what had caused this qualm when I realized I had not eaten anything but a few crackers for almost 48 hours. Can you believe it, I had simply forgotten to eat – again! I remember having thought about preparing some kind of lunch for myself yesterday but being all absorbed in what I was doing, I didn't want to stop and postponed the idea. Later the hunger must have ceased for I really do not remember having wasted another thought on eating ever since. When I got up this morning my mind was already so filled with ideas and plans for the day, I never thought of breakfast. There might have been the slightest notion that something was missing, I admit, but I didn't feel hungry at all and so I postponed eating, once more.
This tends to happen a lot to me lately and I'm sure it's a really bad habit, especially as I'm already a very poor 'drinker'. I never feel thirsty and as a result I forget to drink. Often I'll realize at night that I haven't nearly drunk the liter of water or tea that I intended to (I know it's still too little but all I manage most of the time). This goes so far that several people send me text messages, reminding me to drink. Like the one I had just stood up for. It was my mother asking whether I'm drinking sufficiently. What am I to tell her? "Well thanks, mom! Yes, I have tea here, alright. But please remind me of eating, will you ...?". She'll think I have gone nuts.

I guess I'll put up notes "Intake Of Food!" for myself at significant places. The computer screen might be a good idea. Or the mirror. And maybe I should put post-its on all the books I'm reading. If I get any thinner, I'll fit into kid's apparel, which is not really my intention. This has to stop. Anybody out there with a good idea how to remind oneself of eating? Isn't the body meant to perform this by suggesting a feeling of hunger? What's wrong with me? I have once read that this happened to Albert Einstein a lot – forgetting to eat or drink, that is. Just – I'm afraid the ideas that preoccupy myself aren't half as profound ...

Okay, I'll get myself something to eat. Though the hunger is already gone again, writing. Yeah, still – I'll eat. Promise.

No comments: